Friday, November 26, 2010

This is one of the most exciting football seasons St. Mark's has had in a long time. My best friend is cheerleading, it's our senior year, we beat Sallies once, and tonight is the championship game against Sallies. Unfortunately, I have missed both games! I was in Pittsburgh on an audition at Point Park University for the first one, and now I'm in Rhode Island visiting my brother, Joey, who is a culinary student at Johnson and Whales. Why is college getting in the way of high school? If anything, wouldn't it be the other way around (not that it should)? I love seeing different facets of our country, and even more so seeing family. I haven't seen my brother since this summer! But I sometimes wish I had a little less "business" to attend to.

On a lighter note, Providence is gorgeous. Today we went to this incredible Italian market, and it had every possible kind of cheese, meat, prepared pasta, pickled vegetable, and truffle that you could think of, plus a gelato stand and a restaurant! We also got to see like fifty hipsters. These hipsters are similar to the ones that you could find on Main Street in Newark, only they are more identical to each other and they dress more weather appropriate. By this I mean that one cannot walk a block down Thayer Street without passing a tall, lanky man in skinny jeans, leather boots, a plaid shirt, a peacoat, some sort of beany, and facial hair. Also, the Newark hipsters are much more skilled on their bikes- these Providence kids are totally clueless as to common traffic patterns.

2 comments:

  1. This is the same Providence that spawned my favorite hipster band, Talking Heads. David Byrne is still a hipster, albeit dressed all in white, not skinny jeans.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I understand exactly what you mean Julia. I am so busy this time of year with school, football, and all the college applications that I almost have no time to take a break. I realize that I'm going to have to learn to deal with this in the future but for now can it please be a little less hectic.

    ReplyDelete