Saturday, March 5, 2011

Mall Rant

Today I went shopping. At the mall. With my mother. This never happens. I can't even remember the last time I bought new clothes, I hate it so much. But I finally broke down and admitted that I needed some pants. It was terrifying. Christiana Mall to me resembles that mythical dragon who if you cut off one head, it grows ten more. Why the heck do we need 50 different dining options? It took me ten minutes just to decide on a smoothie. And the Juniors section of Macy's is a nightmare. There were so many clothes I couldn't see straight! What is with this ridiculous amount of consumerism? How can people just hang out there on a Friday night without losing their minds? And no wonder America is so fat. With that many delicious options in the food court, how are you supposed to choose just one? I went into a total of four stores, and by the time we left I was completely exhausted. It took my mom an hour just to buy three things from Ann Taylor. "Which color?" "Do these make my butt look big?" "Why are these pants worth $130?" They're not. It all just seemed so not genuine. None of the merchandise in that place is going to have the same value in two weeks, so why do people hold it in such high esteem now? The fact that half of each denim section in any store consists of jeggings is so disappointing. Soon people are going to realize that you cant paint spandex blue and add a couple back pockets and expect them to fit the same way that denim does. Anyways, I'm never going back there again. Never ever.

2 comments:

  1. Shopping as a cultural event...creepiest American custom evaaaar. I'm with you. I could be in the Olympic event "Mall Avoidance" and win a gold medal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to say that this brain-dump of a blog was a little bit comical to me. Not that I'm trying to say that how you feel is comical; I'm definitely not! But I feel somewhat differently. Even though I am in NO WAY a 'mall rat' who hangs out there on a regular basis, from time to time I enjoy going there to see what's new and to buy a thing or two. I will admit that I am guilty of being the person who sometimes buys the absurdly expensive pants. But if I don't feel a compulsion to buy every single item that is supposedly the 'latest and greatest', then I don't feel like there is much harm in that.

    ReplyDelete