Friday, February 11, 2011

My inspiration for this week's post is my best friend, Emily Kauffman. Let's hope this doesn't turn out sounding too sappy. We haven't known each other forever - only about seven years. And at first, we found each other a little weird. But we got to know each other better through a mutual friend, and one day, the carpet people took over my house and I had nowhere to go, and Emily was the only friend who could take me in. We bonded over games like makeover madness and trampoline photo shoots. That was sometime in junior high, and now she's a freshman at Ithaca College.
We fight a lot. Our other friends used to joke that we were like a married couple, but they stopped after they got the picture that that simile sort of repulsed us. We don't have much in common, but I think we admire each others' differences. Emily is the perfect example of someone who loves life. She's super impulsive and unpredictable (more predictable to me, and she hates that, but still pretty unpredictable). Sometimes she gets frustrated when I take things too seriously, and sometimes I get frustrated when she won't take anything seriously, so I think we serve as each others' reality checks.
Surprisingly enough, Emily's going away to college didn't really change the nature of things. It stinks that I can't just bike over to her house anymore when I'm bored, and sometimes I just can't relate to any of her college experiences, but when she comes home, it's like we just saw each other. And whenever I feel the sting of not having her around, I just check my phone and there's usually a text waiting to make me laugh.

3 comments:

  1. I can completely relate to this blog, One of my best friends is like the complete opposite of me, however she is in our grade. But we disagree on a lot of things and have more differences than similarities in my opinion but somehow we are still really close. Its been harder to stay close over the last couple years since we can both drive now, we don't have any classes together, and she works, but when we do get together its like no time has passed.

    Im hoping that throughout college we still will stay close and get together, but even if we don't spend time over every break then I know that we'd still be there for each other if something happened and one of us needed the other.
    I like this blog, and thanks for sharing it :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I met my oldest friend on the first day of high school and we are exact opposites. We have not followed the same path through life at all, but somehow, when we talk, it always feels like yesterday. Some years she held the relationship together--especially when I had three kids in three years. She was patient. Now I have more time, so she gets more from me,and I feel less guilty about it. And all the things we first loved about each other, are still true. SO I have know her for 40 years, and I cannot believe my luck in meeting someone who can still stand me. Huzzah for friends!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought I was your best friend... I think I will be able to swallow my pride/sadness and comment on the blog... As much as it pains me she seems like a great match for you. I also have the intuition to feel as if I could not last in a room with the both of you for more then five minutes without going crazy. My best bud is Josh Evans, people refer to us as brothers too so I wouldn't take the married/ closer then friends things personally I'd take it as a complement noticing the bond you and your bud have.

    ReplyDelete