Monday, February 7, 2011

The ridiculousness of academia was a recurring theme in my thoughts today as I was bombarded with an especially hefty amount of information and work. I realize that this opinion is both circumstantial and biased, but that doesn't mean that there isn't some truth to it. Some of the things that we are forced to study really are applicable to our lives. This is true for some career aspirations more than others, but, for example, none of us can say that after we graduate, writing will cease to be a valuable skill. However, estimating a series of numbers in ten different ways and finding bounds on the limits of our approximations, and testing convergence and divergence of a function's series, well that is just an unnecessary headache. The benefits: perseverence, a sense of logic, a contribution to both the graphite and the notebook industries. But is it worth the sheer misery induced in so many calculus students? Another example is Death and Dying. There are some very valuable life lessons to be learned in that class, and the perspectives of different existential philosophers are certainly interesting. But why must we write and be graded on a paper about it? I guess what I'm noticing is that as we advance in school, our different studies are taking one of two directions: either they are preparing us thoroughly for our future (for example, ap physics for engineers, or foreign language for those who want to travel), or they are becoming less and less applicable to it. Now, I suppose I could just get over it, live in the moment, and try to remain interested in our lessons, no matter how much future value they hold, but sometimes, I really just don't want to care about calculus.

4 comments:

  1. scooter pootin'
    hula hoopin'
    bball shootin'
    chaotic lootin'
    accidental tootin'
    augustus gloopin'
    spoon and soupin'
    crowds be rootin'
    because Julia is the bomb!

    Love,
    Lindsay

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah school will do that to ya... Mr. V has yet to come up with a use for half of our stuff. 10.7 has no reason to exist and I think everyone can conclude that during our free time or for the rest of our existence we do not ever plan to use this crap except in the classroom...

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's all really there to open doors and expand out minds. A woman I know regrets dropping math her senior year of high school because she would like to have been able to switch gears and go into programming years later. I hate math, but I'm glad I know it, and that's why I continue with it. I just really love knowing stuff. Whether we should be tested on all of this is a completely different subject, though. It's one that's been debated over and over by students and adults and teachers alike. Luckily, you'll be able to specialize a lot more and focus on more of what you want to learn in college.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, I'm an English teacher in Illinois. When I was in college, I took a class in Death and Dying. Ironically and tragically, I experienced a lot of death in my world that semester, became sort of overwhelmed, and ended up with a C.

    ReplyDelete