Saturday, February 19, 2011

UB - A Diamond in the Rough?

Yesterday I visited University at Buffalo. Upon arrival at the campus, I was totally turned off. It's this enormous school of about 40,000 students, and it certainly isn't beautiful - lots of huge brick buildings and parking lots. Also, everyone was talking about how gorgeous the weather was, when it really wasn't that great - just nice as compared to the constant precipitation and low temperatures that they normally have to endure. At the dance audition, the facilities were small, most of the other dancers auditioning there were not very talented, and some of the things they asked us to do seemed kind of ridiculous (we had to improvise a dance to boogie music). Then we toured the dance department with the most boring person ever. I fell asleep during the presentation preceding the general information tour. Then, out of nowhere, things turned around! We had this incredible tour guide who had the greatest things to say about UB. His main theme was that you can make a big school small (by forming smaller communities within it), but you can't make a small school big. He is only in his third year out of high school. He already finished his Bachelor's at UB and he will have his Master's in economics by the end of this year - he has already been accepted to four law schools for the fall. Plus he swims recreationally, is on three intramural soccer teams, and is the face of the student section at all basketball games. By the end of that tour, I was pretty open-minded! Then I saw their Zodiaque Dance Company perform, and I was convinced that this school should definitely be kept in the running. They weren't the most technically proficient dancers, but they were having so much fun. I found myself not even critiquing their skill, because they performed so well. That's really rare - for a dancer like myself to be lured away from checking out other dancers' technique.
They have over 100 majors and three campuses. I love that amount of options, because I'm so indecisive about things. And oh yeah - out of state is tuition is $13,000. That means I might actually be able to afford grad school.

2 comments:

  1. I am glad you liked it, though it will make deciding harder. Nice dilemma shaping up for you--will you email me? have questions re: my letter.....thx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Julia if you go there my heart may stop because I will miss my english partner...

    It sounds pretty cool, personally I don't like dancing that much or art for that matter, but the amount of options seems endless. Seems like a really solid fit for you.

    ReplyDelete